A Loving Kindness Meditation is made up of brief, simple wishes of kindness that we can direct towards ourselves and then to others. In the recording below, I use the meditation, "May I be happy. May I be healthy. May I be free." You can use this brief recording as you start your own loving kindness meditation practice.
1. Repeat the meditation, "May I be happy. May I be healthy. May I be free." Direct this meditation towards yourself and notice the impact of this intention for loving kindness.
2. Visualize someone you love or are thankful for. Direct the meditation, "May you be happy. May you be healthy. May you be free." towards your visualization and notice how this feels.
3. Picture someone about whom you feel more neutrally. Send the meditation to them and observe how it feels to do so.
4. Next, imagine someone who you don't like and send the meditation, "May you be happy. May you be healthy. May you be free." to that person.
5. Finally, picture your neighborhood and send the energy of the meditation to all in that area. Repeat to yourself, "May all be happy. May all be healthy. May all be free." Send this energy to a larger circle of people, sending it to your city, your state, your country, and then to all beings in the world. Notice what it feels like to direct loving kindness to all beings.
For more blog posts about yoga, trauma counseling, and anxiety counseling, click here.